Sunday, February 27, 2005

Pokhara: West of Kathmandu

Pokhara

Me and not that many others here in the launch neighborhood of Annapurna treks. Lakeside Pokhara a strip so purely tuned into the every need, forgotten clothing item, yearning to reach back to home, to refill post trek, and chill of each backpacker, that I can't imagine having an independent whim, or course of action, here. In that way it's wonderful, but in that way I think (just yet) I prefer Sikkim's un-evolved trek status.

Pokhara - second city of Nepal, nested amongst mountains 10 times its height (it's at 2,700, all around peaks above 26,000' - none of which I could see today), has a pretty lake alongside of which most of the things touristic are perched, a few other dusty roads that head to "Damside", to the market, an airport (my arrival point) and not a lot else. Backpackers are granted a guilt free stop without cultural obligations. Town's modern, building's dull - and all that fake North Face gear is cool, the knit socks colorful, and the jewelry's not so very heavy to fit in the pack. If all of Bangkok were Kho San Road, or all of Kathmandu Thamel.

Flight tomorrow early, again on Cosmic Air, for Jomsom. Jomsom ends the flying portion of this short trip, and I start to move on the ground. I'll actually have just two nights in tea house/lodges and 3 days trekking but already feel glad for this brief intro to Nepal trekking. Just being here, seeing the development, set up of Pokhara, gives me a good balance vs. what I saw in Sikkim.

So, quiet this end till Thursday - but love and good karma sent out everywhere from the trail.

C

No comments: