Friday, March 4, 2005

Mad mad world of duty free

Bangkok, airport timeless realm

Feel like there should be a seat with my name on it in this transitory realm of boxed orchids, Sang Thip flask bottles, Krong Thips by the carton (why ever?), silk elephants, tan Germans in flip flops and Thai business men with their pants rolled to their knees having foot massages.

I make my usual stops:
Buy a carton of Marlboro's with some guilt
Sample creams in front of a sales women who'd prefer to pretend you're not there than intervene in your plundering of tester bottles
Purchase thickest/cheapest paperback I can find (The Glass Palace)
Try to time a beer so I'll get sleepy as I settle into my window seat to Tokyo, not before the gate's called
Hatch idea: issue beepers to passengers checking in for late night flights.
Wonder about the pills sold in rubber-banded bundles and wonder if any are truly under-the-counter variety, and worth getting.
Wonder when I'll require an Hermes beach towel.
Check if my delayed flight is further delayed.

My Royal Air Nepal flight this morning was not, as I mentioned, actually this morning. Wise to check on RAN flights. They have but one plane and when it's gone for maintenance there you are, wishing you'd gone with the big brand not the romantic one.


C - of King Power Duty Free

No comments: